Friday, November 29, 2002

good points there jonny.
However, I disagree that it doesn't matter. Hypothetically, if I choose to worship the Lord through voodoo rituals and bloodletting, say because I was deluded when I was young, does that mean that it's completely alright because I am worshipping with sincerity and love from the heart?
Still you're absolutely right jonny, that we should not let the physical aspects and these actions take precedence over keeping the Lord in mind and spirit unlike the Pharisees who took pride in their activities.

And anyway I kind of wonder why the tongues in 1 Corinthians are usually referred to as the same as the Pentecost thingy. Considering that during the Pentecost, the Holy Spirit came upon them and they spoke in tongues that foreigners understood i.e. foreign languages. Whereas in 1 Corinthians, it is written "Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries with his spirit.", and "He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself." Kind of makes it different huh? I haven't got anything against tongues in particular, but I still wonder about it being evidence of the second baptism of the Holy Spirit and how it seems to be the sign of receiving the Holy Spirit when it is written that "Since you are eager to have spiritual gifts, try to excel in gifts that build up the church." You see jonny, at least for me, I think there's an overemphasis on it in many churches. And don't you think that focus on one particular aspect (other than God of course) always is very dangerous?

The Lord has given us many gifts, but just as we do not over-eat, or turn rest into sloth, or treat pastors as idols (thereby elevating them in our minds to the positions of deities), well... you kind of get my drift right? Because I don't quite know how to say it.

Yep that's about all I have to say this fine Friday morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home